Saturday, November 18, 2006

Take 5

I have realized the problem with my writing a candy blog. I like candy too much. Even if I write that I wouldn't buy something again, I will still finish it, and probably, faced with the offer of getting one free, will take and eat it.

This, we come to the Take 5 bar. I had such high hopes. It had such good recommendations. As you may be able to read from the photo, a [Hersey's] Take 5 bar is made of a pretzel topped with caramel, peanuts, peanut butter and milk chocolate. There is also a second version that is dedicated more completely to peanut butter, but I have not tried it yet.

First bite: good caramel, but FLOURY! Can you believe it? The pretzel overpowered the whole shebang! The chocolate was present, but the peanut butter was almost unnoticeable. As I said, the caramel gained points for the bar by being less soft (i.e. Milky Way) and more chewy, with a bit of a snap (i.e. a Twirly Whirly, or a Milk Dud). So that was good. I will say that on the second half of the bar (they are two separate chunks, a la Almond Joys), the flavors balanced more equitably and I understood momentarily the vision. I may give this one a second chance, as it proved wily. For those unsure whether to take the plunge, comparisons, though loose, can be made to 100 Grand Bars (which are far superior), Nutrageous Bars (again, far superior) and Rollos.

No comments: